|Kursusnavn (dansk):||Procedural Content Generation in Games |
|Kursusnavn (engelsk):||Procedural Content Generation in Games |
|Semester:||Efterår 2015 |
|Udbydes under:||cand.it., spil (games) |
|Omfang i ECTS:||7,50 |
|Min. antal deltagere:||12 |
|Forventet antal deltagere:||20 |
|Maks. antal deltagere:||40 |
|Formelle forudsætninger:||Students must be at least medium skilled programmers, able to implement algorithms based on high-level descriptions. Experience with some kind of game engine (e.g. Unreal or Unity) is recommended, and prospective applicants lacking such experience must contact the course responsible before signing up. Experience with artificial intelligence, computational intelligence and machine learning is a plus. |
|Læringsmål:||After the course the students should be able to:
- Analyze content generation requirements in games
- Analyze the capabilities of procedural content generation algorithms to satisfy specific content generation requirements
- Analyze the expressive range of content generators and compare them to each others
- Reflect on the role of procedural content generation in game design
- Apply a wide range of procedural content generation algorithms
- Implement selected procedural content generation algorithms
- Work efficiently in groups to apply the algorithms to game scenarios
|Fagligt indhold:||Please note, that due to technical challenges, changes may occur before the start of the semester (week 35) – this applies to all sections of the course description.
This course gives an overview of a relatively new, quite disparate and very exciting field. The course content will be closely informed by ongoing research at ITU and elsewhere, and also by recent and not-so-recent developments in commercial and indie games.
The following is a list of topics that will be included in the course, as well as a preliminary lecture plan:
1. Introduction; the role of PCG
2. Approaches to PCG; search-based PCG; content evaluation
3. Approaches for Player-Driven PCG
4. Plants and vegetation; L-systems
5. Landscapes; fractals
6. Dungeons and levels; rogeuelikes
7. Game rules; game description languages
8. Generative drama; interactive narrative
9. Mix-initiative design tools
|Læringsaktiviteter:||14 ugers undervisning bestående af forelæsninger, øvelser og vejledning|
8 weeks of lectures and exercises, followed by 6 weeks of supervised group project where project groups implement a procedural content generation algorithm in a game scenario.
|Obligatoriske aktivititer:||Der er ingen obligatoriske aktiviteter. Vær venlig KUN at ændre denne tekst når der er obligatoriske aktiviteter.
There are no mandatory activities. Please, change this text ONLY when there are mandatory activities.
|Eksamensform og -beskrivelse:||D22: Aflevering med mundtlig eksamen suppleret af aflevering., (7-scale, external exam)|
The duration of the oral examination is 30 minutes per examinee.
|Litteratur udover forskningsartikler:||As there is no textbook written yet for this new field, the whole curriculum will consist of research articles. |