|Kursusnavn (dansk):||Foundations of Computing - Discrete Mathematics BSc |
|Kursusnavn (engelsk):||Foundations of Computing - Discrete Mathematics BSc |
|Semester:||Efterår 2017 |
|Udbydes under:||Bachelor i softwareudvikling (bswu) |
|Omfang i ECTS:||7,50 |
|Min. antal deltagere:||1 |
|Forventet antal deltagere:||0 |
|Maks. antal deltagere:||160 |
|Formelle forudsætninger:||Basic arithmetics. |
|Læringsmål:||After the course the student should be able to:
* Describe and apply formal definitions
* Conduct and explain basic formal proofs
* Work with regular languages and finite and infinite state machines
* Use models of computation and specification
* Use combinatorial reasoning
* Assess probabilities of events
* Use basic modular arithmetic
|Fagligt indhold:||The course is an introduction to discrete mathematics as a foundation to work within the fields of computer science, information technologies, and software development. The course develops the necessary terminology and conceptual tools needed for later courses. This includes:
formal reasoning, logic, set theory, sequences and sums
number theory, combinatorics and probability theory
induction and recursion
relations and functions
basic graph theory, language theory
theory and models of computation, such as finite state machines and grammars
The course aims at providing a basic understanding of the mathematical foundations of computer science.
|Læringsaktiviteter:||14 ugers undervisning bestående af forelæsninger og øvelser|
The course consists of 14 weeks of lectures and exercises.
• The lectures will provide the theory and examples of formal definitions, formal proofs, regular languages, state machines, models of computations, combinatorics, discrete probabilities and modular arithmetic (c.f. ILO).
• The weekly exercises are written exercises that train the students in working with and apply the theory introduced in the lectures. The problems that the students solve in the weekly exercises will prepare the students for the written exam, as the exam will contain problems of similar nature.
|Obligatoriske aktivititer:||There are seven mandatory assignments that has to be handed in though a peer grading system and for each assignment it is mandatory that the student gives peer feedback at a satisfactory level. Additionally there are three in-class mandatory tests.
NB: The student will receive the grade NA (not attended) at the ordinary exam, if the mandatory activities are not approved and the student will use an exam attempt. Help
|Eksamensform og -beskrivelse:||X: Eksperimentel eksamensform., (7-scale, external exam)|
4 hours written exam with no aids.
There is no access to advanced electronic tools such as computers, e-Readers or tablets.
Only old-fashioned pocket calculators and standard tools for writing on paper are allowed (pen, pencil, eraser, etc.).
Only use of pen is allowed for the final exam hand-in.
Form of re-exam is the same as the ordinairy exam.
|Litteratur udover forskningsartikler:||Kenneth Rosen, Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications, Global Edition, McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 7 edition (1 Sep 2012), ISBN: 978-0071315012 |