|Kursusnavn (dansk):||Software Engineering and Software Qualities, MSc SD |
|Kursusnavn (engelsk):||Software Engineering and Software Qualities, MSc SD |
|Semester:||Efterår 2018 |
|Udbydes under:||cand.it., softwareudvikling og -teknologi (sdt) |
|Omfang i ECTS:||7,50 |
|Min. antal deltagere:||1 |
|Forventet antal deltagere:||0 |
|Maks. antal deltagere:||68 |
|Formelle forudsætninger:||Course restriction!
Please note that there is a course restriction between this course and the SDT course Introduction to Software Testing. It means that if you have already taken Introduction to Software Testing, then you cannot take this course as there is an overlap.
|Læringsmål:||Having read the course, a student should be able to:
- Discuss the organizational context in which professional software development takes place.
- Discuss major software process models and motivate choosing a development approach based on project context.
- Recognize and apply the activities of requirement engineering.
- Recognize the purpose of software modeling and design basic software models in UML.
- Argue the importance of different quality dimensions in professional software development.
- Discuss and analyze the specificity of use qualities in professional software development.
- Discuss and apply major activities of project management, quality assurance and configuration management.
- Discuss software process quality concepts and software process improvement based on standards (e.g. CMMI).
- Develop a project portfolio (i.e., described in learning activities) for a given case description and motivate choices made.
|Fagligt indhold:||The course introduces the organization of and activities in professional software engineering. It aims at communicating an understanding of how the organization of the software development processes and the selection of methods need to respond to the quality requirements and the circumstances for a specific project.
The course is meant to provide an introduction to professional software engineering, enabling the student to competently act as a project member and to take over management responsibility for minor projects. Special focus is given to different software qualities and how to address them in the development process.
The course combines introduction to central themes in software engineering with a focus on software qualities. Specifically, it introduces into:
- a process based perspective on software engineering
- different quality dimensions, such as software use qualities, software product qualities, software process qualities and how to address them
- different ways of organizing the software engineering (development models)
- supporting process areas, such as project management, configuration management, quality management, and process improvement
- software engineering process areas such as requirements engineering and architectural design.
Note that there will be NO coding activities in the course.
The lectures will introduce different approaches, methods and tools for software engineering. Few exercises are considered to complement some of the lecture materials. The learning activities include two main components:
1. Project Work: You will apply obtained knowledge from the course on a realistic case in groups of 6-8 students (all from SDT program) acting as a project team. Your task is to explore the case, perform analysis and develop a set of documents that would typically be subject to a pre-study or – when applying an iterative or evolutionary process – the early iteration cycles or sprints. The set of documents should contain:
a project charter;
an initial analysis, including a mock-up of the product to be developed;
a requirements specification;
a configuration management plan;
a quality assurance plan;
a system test specification;
an overall architecture specification;
This set of documents is referred to as the portfolio you have to hand in to be able to take the exam. Partial hand-ins are submitted in two tollgates. The hand-ins are constituting the base for a review and evaluation.
Each group of students will be assigned a supervisor (one of teaching team members) and provided supervision meetings.
2. Presentation: There are 2 presentation sessions that are planned after each tollgate of submitting project deliverables. Each group of student is expected to act once as presenter (in one session) and once as opponent (in the other session).
|Obligatoriske aktivititer:||The participation in at least 80% of the supervision meetings is mandatory.
The submissions of partial portfolios after week 4 and week 8 as specified on learnIT teaching platform constitute another mandatory course element. If the increment of the portfolio handed in is not of acceptable quality, the group has 1 week to complement it.
Be aware: Students that don´t participate in the group work can´t take the exam and will be registered with a NA (not attended).
|Eksamensform og -beskrivelse:||D. submission of written work with following oral (7-scale; external exam)|
D2G Aflevering med mundtlig eksamen der supplerer projekt. Delt ansvar for projekt., (7-scale, external exam)
D2G Hand-in for groups with following oral exam supplemented by the hand-in. Shared responsibility for the report., (7-scale, external exam)
The oral exam will be 20 minutes per student including assessment and feedback.
The re-exam has the same form as the ordinary exam.
Students who didn´t participate in the group work can´t take the ordinary exam. To gain access to the re-exam those students must submit a portfolio. The case for the portfolio will be send to the students by the course responsible by the end of the course. The portfolio must be submitted 2½ weeks after. The requirements for this portfolio are the same as for the ordinary portfolio, but it must be handed in as one. No supervision will be offered during this period. The portfolio must be made in groups assigned by the course responsible. If only one student is assigned to the portfolio work, he/she works alone. If the portfolio can´t be approved by the course responsible the students have one week to complement it. Once the portfolio is approved the student can take the re-exam